Less Known Facts about Whatsapp Vs Signal Vs Telegram
As you all know, at present WhatsApp is the largest multi-platform mobile application for messaging service with over 200 Crore active users across the world. Less known facts about WhatsApp Vs Signal Vs Telegram. Telegram has around 40 Crore users, while Signal has around 20 million monthly active users.
In the digital world, communication plays a major role in connecting people from any part of the world. Moreover, people without a mobile phone is absolutely unimaginable.
While WhatsApp stands in a distinguished position from the number of users mentioned above, at the same time we can’t deny the fact about the growing popularity of Telegram and Signal.
Which is Better: WhatsApp or Signal or Telegram?
Communication and networking have played a major role in human evolution. Since most of the wired or physical communication is paid and neither inconvenient nor un-economical. Which makes the data sharing and communication among the people limited.
While in the recent decade due to the advancement of the internet (internet of things) and mobile wireless network communication has widened the scope of video or audio communication more feasible for everyone in the form of Chat rooms and Messenger rooms.
What is the difference between a Chat room and Personal Groups?
Private Chat Room:
In a Chat room, Only admins or the Group owners can add or remove members from groups.
Personal Group Chat:
Under Personal chat rooms. Group admin can invite participants to interact in the Personal Groups.
Now let us see what makes WhatsApp or Telegram or Signal Popular.
Useful facts about WhatsApp Vs Signal Vs Telegram:
UI of WhatsApp:
Starting off with UI, WhatsApp has a pretty simple UI/UX Design with 3 main tabs
3. User Status.
We get a ‘New Chat’ button on the bottom right after creating new chats, a ‘Search Chats’ button on the top right will appear along with the three-dot menu.
Once you open the chat option, the text input field is on the lower side of the display along with Emoji, Attach Media, Camera and voice note buttons.
Must-know facts about WhatsApp:
WhatsApp has everything you would need on a Social Messaging Application, this includes the new in-app shopping and payments feature.
- You can do Group video calls. Can connect up to 8 users at any time
- Post WhatsApp stories
- Files and Document Sharing can be done up to 100MB at a time.
- The best part is Photos, videos and audio files can be shared up to 16 MB
- You can share live locations with your contacts through Google Maps.
- Data Security is assured. Backup and restore messages and data via cloud services like Google Drive and iCloud.
- End to end encryption (E2E) for secured communication: messages, video calls, voice calls and photos.
- Note: WhatsApp and Signal use the E2E protocol developed by Open Whisper Systems.
“End-to-end encryption means the messages are encrypted to protect against third parties from reading them“.
Useful Facts about Telegram:
Telegram offers chatting support to groups with users of up to 2 Lakh members. Telegram is popularly known for its large user groups and it also offers multiple group-specific features extensively used by large groups such as bots, polls, quizzes and hashtags.
- Telegram offers Self-destructing messages service, where the message will get deleted after a point in time.
- The data file size sharing limit on Telegram is 1.5 GB
- It supports voice and video call facilities on Android and iOS devices.
- Telegram supports End to End secret chats option.
- No personal data will be shared with third parties.
UI of Telegram:
The User Interface of Telegram changes a bit, like the Call logs option for creating a new group, heading into settings, and more are stored in the hamburger menu.
A floating button that remains similar to WhatsApp on the bottom right for creating new chats, groups, secret chat and much more.
There are no tabs in Telegram and everything is shown on the single screen.
In Telegram, once after opening a chat, most of the things remain similar to WhatsApp button placements.
Useful facts about Signal:
Coming to the latest member, Signal offers secure messaging, voice, and video calling service with end-to-end encryption. In the Signal, one can create groups, but can’t broadcast messages to multiple contacts at the same time. Signal also has added support for group calling.
- Signal Supports self-destructing messages.
- You can share your thoughts and ideas with the general public without creating groups.
- Signal users can enjoy relay voice calls without sharing the identity, same as using a VPN.
- Signal uses a back-end user-facing encryption service.
- It uses the open-source Signal Protocol to implement end-to-end encryption.
- Signal also encrypts your metadata offering multiple levels of security
UI of Signal:
Talking about the Signal User Interface, the app UI is more identical to that of WhatsApp with chats being shown on the main screen and no tabs. Most of the user interfaces like the button placements are on the main chats screen, just like WhatsApp.
Which one is more secure: WhatsApp VS Telegram Vs Signal?
WhatsApp Security Features:
- WhatsApp does not encrypt backups in the cloud or local server.
- Whatsapp also does not encrypt metadata unlike Signal, which is used to carry secured and private communication between two endpoints.
- NOTE: WhatsApp group chats have been earlier found to be indexed on Google search, a major data breach point.
WhatsApp has already conveyed through multiple means that all of its chats including group ones are end-to-end encrypted. This means that neither WhatsApp, nor its parent company Facebook, nor any other person can view the chat you have with your contact. Only the contact itself and you can view the chats.
WhatsApp does not retain the user’s messages in the ordinary course of Services. Once the messages (including your chats, photos, videos, voice messages, files, and share location information) are delivered, they are deleted from the WhatsApp servers. Still, the messages are stored on the user’s device.
Suppose, If a message cannot be delivered immediately due to the receiver offline, WhatsApp will keep the message on the servers for up to 30 days and deliver it. WhatsApp will delete the messages even If your message is still undelivered after 30 days.
Telegram Security Features:
- Telegram group chats are not encrypted unless you use Secret Chats, which again only supports single-user communication.
Telegram is based on the MTProto protocol and it is more secure than WhatsApp. Telegram supports two layers of secure encryption including server-client encryption which is used in Cloud Chats (private and group chats), and Secret Chats use an additional layer of client-client encryption. All data, regardless of type, is encrypted in the same way be it text, media or files.
Every Cloud Chats use client-server/server-client encryption and are stored encrypted in the Telegram Cloud. This enables the cloud messages to be both secure and immediately accessible from any of your devices – even if you lose your device altogether.
Signal Security Features:
- Note: Signal lacks a host of features if compared to Whatsapp and Telegram.
- Signal by default encrypts all the local files with a 4-digit passphrase.
- It also supports encrypted group calls.
Signal allows the users to make encrypted profiles. If you lose or switch devices, your existing profile can be recovered using your PIN. Along with this, Signal conversations are always end-to-end encrypted, which means that they can only be read or heard by your intended recipients.
Data Security will be the major deciding factor that most people would be concerned about. This let’s the users decide regarding which app they want to use as their daily means of communication.
Contact Lia infraservices – The leading Android and iOS Mobile App Development Company in Chennai are involved in developing secured Online Chat Application for small to big enterprises.